Cultural Competency Skills for Health Professionals
Build your intercultural communication skills to ensure the best possible patient outcomes. Includes DVD with dramatizations of realistic health-care scenarios.
Cultural Competency Skills for Health Professionals teaches techniques for meeting the challenges of working with culturally diverse patients and their families. The skills that health professionals and students acquire through using this workbook will improve their communication and problem-solving abilities when working across cultures.
Cultural Competency Skills for Health Professionals approaches intercultural issues in health care from the perspective of communication. It sharpens your ability to understand the messages and information being communicated by patients and their families.
The workbook provides eight learning modules based on realistic health-care scenarios, along with exercises and self-assessment tools. The modules include high-quality video dramatizations and worksheets, and cover topics including:
- Traditional roles of family care.
- Cultural issues in obtaining consent.
- Cultural issues in compliance.
- Language diversity in health care.
- Generational views on personal directives.
- Cultural issues in end-of-life care.
- Challenging cultural norms.
- Cultural influence in family decision-making.